Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Potty Training

We started potty training today, but as the day wears on, I'm not sure Jackson is ready. Before now, he has gone potty on the big potty a handful of times. He will occasionally tell us he needs to go potty, but more often tells us immediately after he has gone potty and wants a diaper change. I took him to buy his own potty chair - something I said I wasn't going to do, but our doctor said it was important for him to have the leverage with feet on the ground. I also felt he would have ownership of his potty if he got to pick it out & knew it was just for him! He is happy to sit on it, went poop in it before his bath last night (it was only a little bit, but we celebrate small victories!), and just finished a poop in it now. But so far, he has had 2 accidents since 9am. One while we were playing blocks in the floor. I kept asking him every 10 mins or so if he had poo poo or tee tee that needed to come out and he kept saying no. Then at 10:30, I went to pick Emme up to take her up for her nap and I stepped in a wet spot. I then felt Jackson's underwear and he was wet. I have no idea how long he had been wet - it could have been very long because he was climbing all over me just minutes before, but he never even cared that he was wet. So we went to the potty to try and do more. Nothing. So we got washed up a bit, changed underwear and went back to playing. I continued to ask him if he needed to go about every 10 mins. I gave him a salty snack at about 11:15 and a cup of water. At noon, I noticed him grunting a bit and I asked if he needed to go as I was feeling his underwear, he kind of whimpered and I said he could finish on the potty. He sat down and finished, but again I noticed that he had peed also and didn't tell me. It's like he doesn't care about being wet, so this leads me to think he is not ready. I know there have only been 2 accidents so far, but I still don't know. I guess only time will tell! Both times I have not been angry or scolded. I have said things like "You wanted to go potty in the potty, but forgot to tell Mommy. That probably makes you mad being wet. That's ok, we'll get you cleaned up. You'll get better!" Any suggestions? Pray that God will grant me patience!

2 comments:

The Q. Family said...

OMG he is doing SOOOOOO great!!! Don't give up!! Collin's first day he had like 29 accidents Hill!!! But he is 100% trained now (except he does wear diapers for sleeping). Anyways, we followed 3daypottytraining.com and I HIGHLY recommend it. Email me if you want more details- I can write better in an email than on a Blog post. wendyquenzer@yahoo.com.

Paige said...

I think that sounds pretty darn good. Keep it going, it gets better every day and you will be glad you did.