Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, June 18, 2010

Swim Lessons

Swim lessons just wrapped for Jackson. He took lessons from a wonderful woman who is a retired kindergarten teacher and has taught swimming for 17 years. He was taking lessons 4 days a week for 2 weeks in a group of 3 - him & 2 little girls. He had to have goggles for the class, so to acclimate him, I first let him wear them while watching Ice Age. They have blue lenses, so when he watched the movie, it turned the dinosaurs all blue. He thought that was cool. Then we moved on to wearing them in the bathtub. I didn't know what to expect with Jackson. I figured he'd be timid at first and then eventually warm up to it. I was a little nervous that I couldn't stay with him - parents could only be present the last 5 mins of class. As a teacher, I knew this was the only way, but as a mom I was nervous. Here's how it went:

Day #1 - terrified, cried the whole time, hated the back float, but didn't cough or sputter when he went under water. Ms. B also said he didn't like holding on to the side and walking around the edge of the pool. She suggested we really talk it up. I figured he was having a little stranger anxiety also. He did great wearing his goggles though! My scientific approach worked!

Day #2 - told me he didn't want to go to swimming lessons - there were alligators in the water. cried the whole time again, but still did well going under. He still hated the back float and noodle float. Cried "my mommy, my mommmmy!" the whole time. ;( Mind you, I am in the front yard on the driveway with the other moms and I can hear this the whole time.

Day #3 - I tell him to walk on the walls like Spiderman and swim like Nemo. Lessons go the same, but does better with the wall walk. I hear screaming from the back yard while I wait in the front. Ms. B suggests we get him in a pool as much as possible. We go swimming later that afternoon and he is very clingy, but doesn't really cry and doesn't want to leave.

Day #4 - We talk about swimming like sharks at swimming lessons. It goes very much the same as the previous. He starts to get out when he sees me during the last 5 mins, but minds Ms. B when she says to stay in. She says he is more mad at being left than scared. He says there are snakes in the pool....

Sunday, Aaron & I take him back to the pool and he has a good time! Again doesn't want to leave, but is a little timid & clingy.

Week 2: Day #5 - I remind him of how well he did at the pool with Aaron and me and then tell Ms. B how well he did also. I also remind him that Mommy always comes back! More crying at drop-off, but Ms. B says he is more "melancholy today." Doesn't try to get out when he sees me during the last 5 mins. He waits to be dismissed. Ms. B suggests that I walk in having Jackson's shoes & shirt already off with goggles in hand and immediately hand him off to minimize the amount of time Jackson has to anticipate my leaving.

Day#6 - I remind him that Mommy always comes back and tell him that I just wait in the front yard for him. Same as day #5. Does better at back float and no problem walking along the walls or going under & "swimming" to the step from a few feet out.

Day #7 - cries when I drop him off, but I don't hear crying while I wait. When I peak around the corner, he is NOT crying and sitting on the step. He goes to Ms. B when it is his turn without a fuss and practices the skills he is supposed to. I see him swim to the step from about 3 feet out - he holds his breath well, does not sputter, kicks his feet one time and immediately finds the bottom with his feet when he reaches the steps. I give him LOTS and LOTS of praise, we get ice cream (at 10 in the morning), go grab Emme & Aunt Christie and hit the neighborhood pool. The kid is suddenly a fish and LOVES the water! He hates it when he has to get out for adult swim, refuses to go in the kiddie pool, and tells us not to hold onto him while he walks along the walls. He cries when it is time to leave.

Day #8 - cries for 2 mins at drop-off, but stops and does even better than day 7! He loves it! Aaron took him & picked him up because I stupidly scheduled swim lessons & Emme's 12 month well check at the same time. Dads don't ask for a lot of feedback....

Of course he starts liking it in the last 2 days! I don't know if I should sign him up for more lessons or just keep reinforcing it on my own at our pool. I plan on emailing Ms. B and asking her opinion, but I was amazed at the sense of pride I suddenly felt when he started liking it! I was never one of those moms that was scared I was scarring him or couldn't take the crying. I knew he would get it, but I just didn't know when. Luckily, it was this summer and I didn't have to wait until next!

1 comment:

The Williams Family said...

PUT HIM IN MORE LESSONS, BECAUSE HE WILL DO MORE FOR HER, THEN WITH YOU. SOUNDS LIKE HE IS REALLY GETTING THE HANG OF IT AND WILL BE A FISH IN NO TIME!! WE WILL HAVE TO COME SWIMMING!!