Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, April 26, 2010

New For Emme

Spring '10 school picture


Emerson has officially switched to sippy cups. We are no longer giving her bottles - all formula is drank from a NUK sippy. She won't take any other kind, which is sort of a pain because the NUK ones are sort of hard to find and the ones that we can readily find only hold 5 oz. I think eventually we will be able to work into different brands, but for right now she is meeting us half way!

We also had to move her crib mattress down to the 2nd setting. I heard her playing in her bed yesterday at the end of naptime and just happened to glance at the monitor only to see her standing up leaning WAY over the rail looking at the floor. I have never ran so fast up the stairs and when I busted through the door, so just leaned back and grinned from ear to ear at me. Aaron was right behind me with the tools to lower the mattress - he knew what was coming!

Emme has also officially started sitting up from a laying position - we'll say her official date was April 17th.

Still no official crawling yet, but we are making progress. Her problem is that she tries to move both knees at the same time or she tries to use her feet & ends up standing up. She definitely can get where she wants to go, but just not in a graceful manner. When she gets frustrated, she just resorts to rolling. We will continue working on crawling since it is such an important skill/milestone! My mom was reading some child development reserach the other day for a module she is writing for the teacher alternative certification course she teaches and the research was saying that not all children that don't crawl are dyslexic, but almost all dyslexics didn't crawl. So we will keep working on this!

When Jackson was about Emme's age, this was the time we were living with my parents until we could close on our house. They have an excersaucer thing that has the seat that travels around the stationary piano/magnadoodle/activity center thing, so he got really used to zooming around & around in that thing moving his little feet. So I am wondering if we should bring that to our house or get something else that gets Emerson accustomed to moving her legs & feet to move. I know that there are warnings from everywhere about the dangers of walkers, but I also know that I had one, Aaron had one and many of you probably had one and we all lived to tell about it. Does anyone have any thoughts about them - merits, horror stories, or even just that your kid has one?

2 comments:

Betsy said...

I went down the basement stairs (realtor left the baby gate down) at 9 months in my baby walker and ended up with a cracked skull, concussion, black eyes and damaged teeth... so beware if you have a two story house with those things!!

Caleb didn't crawl until almost 12 months (he was 2-3 months premature) and didn't walk until 18 months and he is doing great now. Hang in there, she'll get it soon enough!! She's precious, Hillary :)

The Williams Family said...

Hailey loved the jumper and then we had a walker too that someone gave us. Plus, Ms.Francis used one with her at her house. I was kinda hesitant at first but just used it downstair in the kitchen. We did a lot of floor time and I would put stuff way from her to try and get (or that crawl ball that they have to go after). Also, maybe look into Little Gym or Gymboree Classes, they gave me good ideas. She might skip crawling and go into standing & walking. DON'T WORRY!! SHE I FINE. Plus, she has Jackson to get the things wants for her.