Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Gordie Foundation

At the risk of sounding like I have really become my mother, I feel like I really should share this with you.

My school has recently started a chapter of The Gordie Foundation. It was started in memory of Lynn “Gordie” Bailey who died as a result of binge drinking at the University of Colorado after being there for only 4 weeks. The purpose of the club is to develop a “Circle of Trust” among the students in which they commit to knowing the signs of alcohol poisoning and more importantly, commit to helping someone who is in trouble instead of looking away or not calling for help because they don’t want to get them in trouble with their parents. We introduced this today right before Spring Break as we all know binge drinking has a tendency to occur at this time.

This club IN NO WAY ENCOURAGES OR CONDONES UNDERAGE DRINKING. It is about encouraging kids to know the danger signs so that if they are around someone who has been drinking they can help them. The slogan is “Make a call. Save a life.” Gordie's story has been made into a movie also called Haze. We showed the trailer to the movie to our students. It was very graphic, showing actual pictures of how Gordie was found, but hopefully it will make the kids stop & think!

When I think of some of the stupid stuff we did when we were in college -- believe it or not, I was pretty good (not perfect, but better than most) in high school, it's a wonder I made it! After becoming a mother, I now know why my parents were so "mean/unreasonable/totally uncool" when I was in middle & high school. Jackson is only one, but after hearing the story of Gordie, I immediately emailed Aaron & my mom to tell them that Jackson would be attending Rice University and living at home FOREVER! My sweet Momma replied with "I will remember you said that. You have no idea how often I cried at night worrying about both you and Brennan." She also reminded me that we cannot shelter our children forever. Not only will they turn out to be major 40 year old freaks that live in their mother's basement, but they will not learn the right things to do. Instead we have to teach them to make good decisions and to hear their own voice above that of the crowd's. My mom is so wise and I am so grateful now that she & my Dad were "so totally uncool" back then! Thank you & I love you both!

3 comments:

Summer said...

that sounds cool and i completely agree with you. augie and i always joke that kynli is not going to be able to go away to college, she cant date until she is 40, and she is never aloud to live anywhere but home. like i said, we joke about it, but i actually wouldnt mind if it really happened! jk. i know that they need to learn right from wrong and all of that other good stuff, but man does it scare their mommas to death!!!

yaya said...

Ok, now you have made me cry! Too early to mess up my makeup! Seriously, Daddy and I are so proud of the wonderful job you and Aaron are doing as parents. We have no fears for the future because we know that God is truly watching over you, Aaron, Jackson and little Emerson.

Vandi said...

The Gordie Foundation is AWESOME!! I am teaching about Alcohol in Health right now and so I showed the trailer for Haze. There was complete silence for a few minutes after it was over. Thanks for the suggestion!