Aaron started a new job at the end of November. It was all so strange how it transpired...I'll start at the beginning: Aaron was laid off from the general contractor he worked for in February 2009 when the economy tanked. He had a really hard time finding permanent employment, but the Lord provided lots of contract work for him and we were able to stay afloat. It was tight, but with the contract work, my meager teacher salary, and the support of our {WONDERFUL BEYOND WORDS} families, we made it through. The great part of his being without a steady job was that he was able to be home with me when Emme was born to help me out & it offered him an opportunity to really bond with our little girl! He got a job in March of 2010 with NOW Specialties, a sub-contractor specializing in ACM and metal panelling (for the outsides of skyscapers, etc). This was not what he wanted ideally, he was a GC man, but it was a job - an honest-to-goodness, really salaried job and the people he worked with were amazing! I {LOVE} those guys & girls he worked with and their spouses! They were all around our age (here in the Houston office) and had kids near our kids' ages and they were so much fun to be around! Aaron enjoyed his co-workers and the jobs he was working on and everything was hunky-dory! He knew he would eventually try & get back with a GC, but we were content.
In July 2011, D.E. Harvey Builders, a GC Aaron was doing a project for, approached him and said they'd like him to interview for a position with them. So he interviewed in late July and they pretty much told him that they were going to hire him, but had to get the paperwork to go through to create a new project manager position. We were so excited because while we love the NOW people & jobs, they didn't offer the best medical benefits and I was having to carry us on my school benefits. Harvey offered great benefits, a salary bump and truck allowance, plus it was a GC. We waited...and waited...and waited for Harvey to call. It got to be a joke with us - I would say I want new furniture and Aaron would say I wish Harvey would call...or he'd say he wanted to go fishing with some guys and I'd say You better hope Harvey calls. We had pretty much - well, not pretty much, we HAD given up on Harvey calling and then in mid-November, Harvey called!
Aaron has now been there a couple of months and it seems to be a really good fit. I haven't met any of the people yet, but I'm sure they will be great! I miss the NOW people, but we still talk to them and I really hope no one there holds a grudge against Aaron for doing what is best for his family!


No comments:
Post a Comment