Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Bit by the Psuedomonas bug

Emme's actual birthday started out like this:
 Playing with Jackson in the backyard

 It all seemed perfectly fine.  Then on Friday night Emme's bug bites looked worse & there were more.  By Saturday, there were "bites" in places she couldn't have been bitten, places covered by her clothes & diaper.  I was scared of a staph infection since I was prone to them when I was young, so I took her in to see her doctor on that Saturday.  He looked at it & said it looked like Hot Tub Folliculitis, but did a culture to make sure.  He prescribed Mupriocin, a topical antibiotic ointment.  On Monday, the culture came back as the bacteria Psuedomonas, as he had thought, but by then she had some pretty angry looking spots on the back of her legs and on her upper thigh.  Because of my staph history, he prescribed an oral antibiotic.

Here is what she looked like 3-4 days into the antibiotic and this is 100 times better than it had been:

The weird part of all of this was that Jackson swam in the same water and was not affected at all!  AND...when I lived in Lubbock, I would lay out in a baby pool and I didn't change the water every time.  A friend pointed out that our backyard is so shady that the UV rays might not be able to clear up a lot of what it could if we didn't have so many trees.  Totally plausible.  Anyway, moral of the story...empty baby pool water every time, rinse & put in new water the next time!

No comments: