Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Jackson - What a fungi!

Yesterday morning when Jackson woke up I noticed his lips & tongue were coated in white. I tried to wipe it off thinking it was dried milk & when it didn't wipe off, I immediately knew it was thrush. For those of you not familiar with thrush, it is just a yeast infection that occurs in the mouth. Having worked in a pediatric clinic, I had seen thrush a lot so I was quite confident in my diagnosis. I called his Dr.'s office to see if we could get in and luckily Dr. Pielop was actually the Dr. in the office this weekend. We went & sure enough, it was thrush. Oh but wait....that's not all....Dr. Pielop also found an ear infection in his right ear. Ugh! This is the 2nd one and both have been in that ear. So now Jackson is taking Amoxil 2 times a day for his ear, Nystatin suspension to swish around in his mouth 4 TIMES A DAY, and Motrin prn for pain. We are new to this illness thing -- this was the first true "sick visit" we'd had. The first ear infection was diagnosed at his 9 month well check and the only other non-routine appointment we have had was for diaper rash. Hopefully, this ear infection thing won't be a recurring trend!

1 comment:

The Q. Family said...

Poor little munchkin! I hope he heals up fast!