Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, September 28, 2009

Diversion Tactics

Road trips are torture! Jackson has developed what I believe to be motion or car sickness. It first surfaced when he had a virus, so I first attributed it to that. He threw up about 6 times in the course of 2 weeks, all but once were in the car. Well, it has been over a month since he had the virus and it is STILL occuring. He doesn't actually get sick now, but I can tell that he is nauseous. He starts fussing, pointing to his mouth and swallowing hard. Ugh! I know that feeling and it sucks! I wish there was something I could do to make it go away. As I think more and more about it, I am convinced that we didn't notice this before because he had his pacifier and that kept him from being nauseous. If he has something in his mouth - crackers or a sucker - he is fine. We now carry a blanket (to throw over him - washing his carseat cover is a major pain!), sleeve of crackers, change of clothes (just in case) and sippy of water in the car at all times.

This weekend we went to San Antonio for sweet Hailey's first birthday party. Jackson fell asleep in the car until about Universal City, but then cried the whole rest of the way to Tiffany & JC's. Of course, Emerson was crying too because she was hungry. Luckily, Jackson did not get physically sick, but the poor little guy was miserable! The party was great - we had so much fun! Tiff made adorable ladybug cupcakes and Hailey had a classic 1 year old reaction to her cupcake. So cute! Jackson "helped" Hailey open all of her gifts (sorry Tiff!) and then pushed her doll stroller around and around and around, at times telling Tiffany's Memaw to "Go!" I quickly apologized & told her that he can't say excuse me yet, so when he says "Go!" he means it with the utmost respect! She was a really good sport, as usual, though. We had so much fun with the Williams family - I wish we lived closer! We also got to meet Uncle Brennan for lunch. What a treat! Jackson adores B! On the way home yesterday, Jackson again fell asleep until about Columbus, so we had to figure out some way to distract him from feeling nauseous. I started launching his toy tractor from the console/arm rest thingy back towards him, trying to jump the gap between the console and his car seat. He was laughing so hard and it was so cute that I had to get it on video. The camera slid off the dash at the beginning, but that was also comic relief as you can tell from the precious giggles. We are in LOVE with his laugh! It is contagious!



1 comment:

The Q. Family said...

Hill- I've heard fresh air can help with car sickness too- like rolling down the windows. Trick is, you want to do that *before* he starts getting terribly nauseated. Hope y'all can find some good tricks that work!